Tuesday 26 February 2013

Casa Cuna


I know my adventures that you have read about sound super fun and amazing. But as my friend pointed out, there is more to Ecuador than those touristic attractions. There is so much that I don't even know about; politics, economy, etc. However, what I can tell you is part of my daily routine at Sociedad de Pericultura Casa Cuna. 


Casa Cuna was "created in order to promote the development of children during their different stages of growth and learning." Their focus is to "educate children who will be able to develop the demands that the world presents." In theory, their philosophy would create the perfect atmosphere for children to acquire life skills. I am not here to bash Casa Cuna, but the impoverished conditions Ecuador faces creates a less-than-ideal atmosphere for the children.

I was completely shocked when I arrived my first day. Tes, Jenna and I took a taxi our first day, so there would be no confusion and we wouldn't get lost. The staff speak little to no English so I was a little out of my league at first. They led us to a cramped room where around ten cribs were evenly spaced. There were two babies, and maybe eight toddlers. This wouldn't be an issue if there was more than one staff. I don't know how she would be able to handle working with so many children all on her own.

Being slightly germophobic, it was really hard for me to, well, even touch anything. The sanitation of the building greatly lacks in comparison with Canada. That is probably what made it so hard for me; I compared everything with Canada.

I know I shouldn't make these comparisons because this is their way of life. These are the circumstances they face day to day. I need to understand that it is just different. But at the same time, I think it is important for you to fully understand the conditions here.
-In Canada there is maybe 4 children per staff. Here, there are ten or more.
-In Canada, you use a mop to wash the floor. Here, you use a cloth that resembles paper towel, rinse it in the sink, and let it dry for the next day.
-In Canada, you use disinfectant to wash the counters. Here, you don't was the counters. The rare case that you do, it is will a reused piece of paper towel.
-In Canada, you change your child's diaper by using wipes. Here, you place the child under the tap. The combination of water and your hand take care of the mess.
-In Canada, children wash their hands regularly. Especially before a meal. Here, I don't think I have seen soap for the kids to wash with.
-In Canada, if a child is sick, they generally stay home until they are well. Here, the staff use one single spoon to administer medications.
-In Canada, children use toilet paper after they go to the bathroom. Here, dip-drying is common. Toilet paper is rare to find in the building.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great things here as well. Most of the staff seem friendly and helpful with the students. Aside from the daycare, there are also older kids who do more learning activities. They (and I) participate in crafts, dancing, or other games. In fact, I am probably learning just as much as they are or more! One day, I gathered the children and tried to teach them their colours. It was very hard especially with the language barrier, but also very fun at the same time! 

I think I have become more accepting of their ways - although I still shower when I return home, I am pushing my germophobia aside!

There is so much that we take for granted in Canada. We should not only be extremely grateful for the things we have, we should also take advantage of our prosperity, and use it to aid others. Together we have raised money in order to do so. I have been thinking about the best way to utilize the money: 

-Deposit the sum into their account and the organization can use the money where they most need it
-Purchase supplies as needed (I have already used some of the money toward baby wipes)

-The staff have also suggested an air conditioner as the temperatures are quite high in Guayaquil. Generally, they cost over $600. Although we have raised that much (check the donations page), I will be completing other volunteer work throughout my stay here. (Building a house in which they recommend you donate $150 and also nature conservation in the Galapagos). 

I would really like to hear your feedback or if you have any other options. We have raised the money as a team, and I think it is really important that you have a say in where it should be spent! Leave me a comment or a message on Facebook if you can't comment here, and together we can decide the best option!

2 comments:

  1. Hi sweetheart! I have read your blog regarding the daycare and I feel by your words that this experience has really affected you in a profound manner. You've seen how the things we take for granted are things that others could desperately use. Items we see as disposable are things that others require the use of several times over. You likely now know to appreciate all the little things in life that you usually don't even give much thought to. I know this experience will see you grow as an individual. I'm so very proud of you.
    You have asked for comments on how to utilize your donations in the most effective manner. Really only you can tell the best manner in which to allocate the funds. You are there on the front line, seeing the situation and dealing with the shortages in daily supplies. You've mentioned an air conditioner. Is that the best use of funds? Who will pay to operate and maintain it? Obviously it will require extra electricity to run it. Can they afford that extra expence? You've seen the lack of daily care supplies. Perhaps the children would benifit from that. Again, you are there. You see the needs. I know that you will make the best choice you can seeing what you see.
    I know regardless of your decision, you will be doing something that will be beneficial to the kids of the daycare.
    I love you very very much and again, I am so proud of you for the work you are doing with the children.
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelsey,

    Thank you for taking the time write...I am learning so much from you, especially how grateful I am for where I live and what I have! You are THE most interesting young person I know and I am so thankful to be a small part of your journey. I completely trust that you will make the best decision in how to donate the funds.

    You GO GIRL! May the warm sun continue to shine on you! (((HUGS)))

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete