Thursday 2 May 2013

Loja - Day 1


So I know its been a super long time since I have written, but I feel like now is a good time. 

I am at an internet cafe around the corner from my cheap little hostel in Loja. 

This is the first time I have travelled alone. All alone. I took a bus from Guayaquil at 11pm last night to travel 8 hours to get here. I made sure to get a seat at the front so that if I needed, I could easily ask the driver a question. After about ten minutes, one of the drivers asked me to move to he could fully recline his chair to sleep. I was a little reluctant because I really like sitting on the right side of the bus. More comfy to sleep. Anyway, I moved and it turned out to be for the better. There was no one sitting next to me the whole ride so I could sleep in any position I wanted. It was probably one of the better sleeps I have had on a bus! Some stranger kindly woke me up in the morning to let me know we had made it.

I grabbed my very full backpackers back pack that I bought for $23 at the market in Guayaquil, and stood awkwardly at the corner thinking... hmm, I wonder where I should go. People were rushing to get into a taxi, and there was me, Gringa Kelsey standing all alone, probably looking really lost, trying to decide where to go. I started to walk, then stopped myself because in reality, I had no idea where anything was. So I decided to hop in a taxi. I asked him if he could take me to an "economic hostal." It didn´t take long before he dropped me off. It was only 7 in the morning so when I went to check in, there were no beds. I went to the hostal next door. It really isn´t great to be honest, a room with a bed and a tv. Oh. And the window opens up to the shared bathroom (if I would have known that at first, I probably wouldn´t have taken it. Lesson learned... look around a little better.) Anyway, I was trying to ask the lady at the front desk if she had a map and which places I should go to. But she didn´t understand me. Huh, I could have sworn she looked like she spoke spanish! I know for certain it wasnt because of my lack speach!! She ended up being really unfriendly and I totally wanted to switch hotels but I didn´t want to lug my bag around a place I didn´t know. 

I started walking hoping that I could find some of the things I researched earlier. When I realized I had been walking for a really long time and probably wouldn´t find anything, I took a taxi to the Botanical Gardens. I felt really awkward and alone. It was just such a weird feeling being on my own in a place I didn´t know. I was unimpressed by the gardens and decided to leave. The man gave me a map as I was leaving. THANK GOODNESS! That map saved the trip. I was so annoyed before that I didn´t know what I was doing.. but as soon as I got that, I was good to go!

So I went to the Puerta de la Ciudad. There was a small art gallery, cafe, and a lookout. I indulged in all. After that I followed the map to some tourist desinations thinking I would end up back around the area of my hostal. BUT JOKES. I didn´t actually know where my hostal was on the map. So I literally ended up walking to the other end of the city. Clearly I took a taxi back. Good thing they are cheap in Ecuador...

Puerta de la Ciudad

This river runs through the city. There is another one aswell. I saw a dead dog in it today.
At first I thought it was wood. Nope. It was sad. And gross. Sorry for sharing that with you.
I realized I had a lot of time left before it would get dark and since I actually knew where my hostal was this time, I went out walking again. I went to two really cool look out point. So much walking today! 

View from one look out




I was sitting in the park colouring.. and Maria Jose came to join me! 
Although it was a pretty rocky morning, the day ended up being really good and I really think I am going to like travelling my myself!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Nice to see you blogging again. I honestly missed them. It's nice to find out about your adventures. Looks like another busy day was had. Wouldn't it have been interesting to have had a pedometer to tally up all the kilometers you've put down? Sounds like a lot today. Nice pictures. Pretty soon we'll be able to see the millions and MILLIONS that you've taken over the past number of months. I'm looking forward to your next post. Love you! See you soon. DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blogs! I missed them too, glad they are back. Your pictures are great! Looks like such cool architecture. So much history everywhere. Keep being safe! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete