Monday 7 January 2013

Day 3: Mitad del Mundo, Otavalo, Shaman


It has been so busy that I have not had a lot of time to write! When we aren't doing something, we are all hanging out together eating or talking. It is very fun but very busy and all my days are melting together! Good thing I take a lot of photos :) Here is what we have done the past three days:

January 5

On Saturday morning we went to Mitad del Mundo (to you English speakers that is the EQUATOR!) There were monuments all around the grounds. Some were busts of famous people. We were told that this site was actually not the real equator. At first, they thought it was correct but over time realized it was slightly off. But either way, I will take it. It was so cool to straddle the "center" of the world! 

The Entrance 
The Monuments
 We walked down the path toward the Equator line and came across an Insectarium. They had a bunch of really big beetles. I think they were Giant Rhino Beetles. After, I realized that we could get a photo holding them. It only cost $2! I was really scared at first but I was excited that I was brave enough to do it. The beetle had little claws that dug into my skin a little and when it walked it was so creepy. To get it off, the lady knocked on its shell. I was scared that it was going to bite me! The tarantula was not too bad but it left dirt on my hand which grossed me out because I thought it was poop. I have to be honest, this is my most composed photo. The others are of me looking quite scared. You can see both sets of my teeth... I think that says it all. I was so excited with myself because I actually held these guys!
I swear they are real!
I love the locals!

That would be the Equator


 I got a delicious ice cream for a dollar and a couple of post cards before we left for Otavalo. It was really hot on the bus for most of the way but with the windows open the breeze was wonderful. It also made for some nice photos of the land. Keep in mind that not all of Ecuador looks like this... There is some very modern architecture. This is what I am personally drawn to though.


We made a pit-stop at a scenic view and also bought some local snacks. Can you see what is in the background? Spoiler alert: it is an active volcano! The Mexicans bought some mozzarella cheese - it came wrapped in a leaf. We spent some time feeding the dogs (and some pet them, yes) before continuing on our way.
Hannah, Cody, Gabby, Me, Alejandra

 We checked into out hotel room in Otavalo which was beautiful. We had 5 beds for only three people but the building was magnificent. (The next day, Andrea told us that it was a haunted building - she had to switch rooms because of the things that were happening to her.) For lunch, we were first served carrot soup with a bowl of popcorn. Apparently in Ecuador, it is typical to eat popcorn in creamy soups. What happened next was completely unbelievable! I ATE FISH! This trip is really pushing me out of my comfort zone but I am so proud of myself for taking chances and doing what I normally wouldn't. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal to eat fish, but for me it kind of is. It is a little step that proves I am growing and I love it! And the fish didn't taste to bad either!

Can you see the tail? 
After lunch, we visited Nanda Mandach who showed us how to make instruments, how to play them and also played folk music for us and also Cesar Cotachi where we saw traditional weaving techniques. It takes   a very long time for them to make rugs or ponchos using this technique which is also why they are more expensive. They said you need very strong leg muscles to weave like this.


Testing the tube to see if it sounds good



Later, we went to visit a Shaman. Cody volunteered to be "cleansed." What she did was very very interesting - something I have never seen before. When most people are cleansed, they take off all their clothes, but because we were a group of people, underwear were allowed. I was talking to one of the girls from Mexico and she told me that their traditions are much different than here in Ecuador. At times it was hard not to laugh. The lady was half the size of Cody and basically spit alcohol, fire, and tobacco smoke on him. It is a ritual to get rid of all the negativity in ones body. We were told that Cody was very dirty and therefore took longer to cleans than most people. In the end she rubbed eggs over his body as they collect the bad. It was a very very interesting event.

Perfect timing!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Kelsey! It sure sounds like you are enjoying Quito and the surrounding area. Even your Dad is proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone and doing all these different things. Huge beetles? Tarantula?? Fish??? Wow! Keep it up. enjoy your trip to Guayaquil.

    ReplyDelete