Wednesday 16 January 2013

Winter



January 16

While all you Canadians are shoveling your car out from the snow, I sit in my room in shorts and a tank top with a fan directed at me. Winter here is much different than back home. Although it rains almost daily, the temperature is still warm enough that an umbrella in unnecessary because it feels so good. However, the temperature is not the only distinguishing factor between winter in Canada and in Ecuador. 

Yesterday was a very ... interesting... experience for me. Have you ever hear of los grillos? They are giant crickets that apparently multiply in winter. Let me paint you a picture so you know what I mean.
Imagine you walk into a pet store because you need 
food for your frog. You ask the salesperson if you 
can buy 20 crickets to feed your beloved pet. But rather
than giving you a small bag with 20 crickets, she takes 
you to the back room where they store them by the 
thousands in a big bin. She pulls out her wand and uses her 
sorcerer powers to shrink you down to be 3 inches tall.
Because she is clearly the queen cricket and needs to 
feed her babies (who like to eat humans) she throws you 
into the cricket bin. Now you are 3 inches tall with crickets
flying, jumping and crawing all over you. Keep in mind that 
since you are so small, these things are giant - they are grillos.

This is basically what I experienced yesterday. It was funny to see everyone freak out when they came near you but I understand how disgusting it is. You could literally shovel them off the sidewalk. So although I may be experiencing massive amount of heat, your nightly snowfall (for some of you) is probably more tolerable than los grillos.

... So don't be too jealous.

1 comment:

  1. Ewwww, how many of those have you squished?? Are they noisy? Think I could hear them?

    ReplyDelete